Welcome!

This site collects stories from people with experience of Sony's customer services. It was inspired by the continuing tales in this thread on RLLMUK, from which some stories are taken.

If you have a similar story, please get in touch! We hope that collecting these stories will help Sony to realise that their awful approach to digital accounts, customer service and denial of standard rights is hurting their business. None of the major video games news sites seem to be interested for some reason!

Note that we will not take anonymous submissions, and submitters remain responsible for the factual accuracy of their stories.

Friday, 23 October 2015

It had the potential to burn my house down

 A tale from the US, where Joe has had the worst luck when it comes to console reliability, only to be told that the extended warranty he paid $60 for only covered a console which Sony sent as a replacement, which was faulty on arrival.  It's worth reading the whole thing but a few choice quotes:

There was a situation near launch where consoles would have a "blue light of death" issue where the console would never fully start up and would be stuck in a bootup state. I contacted Sony Support and was told I'd have to send it in for repair. This was just in my first month as an owner.
That second system arrived, and right away I knew there was a problem. The console was noticeably louder than my first one and seemed to run fairly hot when playing any games at all. Given my first console was perfectly silent, I was worried but dealt with it until later in December when it was shutting down due to overheating. Sony was contacted and my system was on its way back to Sony to be replaced once again.
I went to bed, woke up, and decided to get back into my game and play some more. After about a half hour, I smelled something weird. It smelled like burning plastic and after thinking it was the heater kicking on (I live in PA, it is cold) I kept playing. Another half hour passed and the scent didn't go away, instead getting worse. I got up, smelled over by the PS4 and noticed it was most definitely coming from the console. I immediately unplugged the system and turned on the living room lights to see the living room had a smoky haze throughout.
I waited a week for my shipping box that never came. I contacted Sony again to get an update on the situation where I was informed that I was NOT under warranty anymore and that my $60 extended warranty only covered my then second console despite what I was told. I got off the online chat and called Sony support directly where I was put on hold for quite a while until I was eventually informed that they would NOT cover the PS4 unless I paid for the service. All of this, despite the fact that it had the potential to burn my house down if I wasn't around to notice the smell and unplug it.
I immediately traded in my console as a broken, defective system (lessening my trade value) and put my money towards some upcoming Xbox One releases.
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment